An eclipse occurs when the sun, moon, and earth come into alignment. This creates a powerful energy and fascinating view.
A lunar eclipse happens when a full moon passes through the shadow of the Earth. There are three types of lunar eclipses:
- Total Lunar Eclipse: The entire moon passes through the Earth's shadow, taking on a red cast.
- Partial Lunar Eclipse: Part of the moon moves through the Earth's shadow.
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse: The Earth, moon, and sun are imperfectly aligned, and the moon passes through Earth's faint outer shadow, known as its penumbral shadow. This eclipse is more difficult to see.
A solar eclipse occurs when the moon blocks the sun. There are at least two solar eclipses each year. The four types of solar eclipses are:
- Partial Solar Eclipse: The moon's penumbral shadow hits the Earth as the moon partially blocks the sun.
- Annular Solar Eclipse: The moon completely covers the sun, but a ring of light is visible around it.
- Total Solar Eclipse: The moon covers the sun completely.
- Hybrid Solar Eclipse: Part of the Earth sees an annular eclipse while another part of the Earth views a total eclipse.
Upcoming eclipses that you may able to view include:
- Total Lunar Eclipse: May 26, 2021
- Annular Solar Eclipse: June 10, 2021
- Partial Lunar Eclipse: November 18/19, 2021
- Total Solar Eclipse: December 4, 2021
You can only see these eclipses in certain parts of the world, so you'll need to check the time and visibility in your exact location.
Viewing an Eclipse
A solar eclipse is more difficult to watch than a lunar eclipse. You must use special-purpose solar filters to look at the sun during any kind of solar eclipse. The safest way to view a solar eclipse is by watching the shape of the sun as it's cast onto a pinhole projector.
A lunar eclipse is safe to view with the naked eye, so no special preparation is needed. Binoculars or a telescope can help you see more detail, though they're not necessary.
The Energy of an Eclipse
Lunar and solar eclipses have powerful energy that you can channel for your personal growth and enlightenment. Consider speaking with a psychic before one of these events for suggestions on how to best use this energy.
A lunar eclipse is typically best for getting rid of old patterns and belief systems. Use this energy to commune with your shadow self and reset disempowering habits.
A solar eclipse blocks our forward vision, making it easier to focus on the present and the past. Take this time for a mindful meditation on your current situation and fresh insights into how you got there.
Mark your calendar for the eclipses that are coming up this year so you can experience them fully.