What is an Authentic Relationship?
How do I know that I am in an Authentic Relationship?
- Your partner loves and accepts you the way you are, shortcomings and all.
- Your partner is your teacher. Instead of criticizing when you make a mistake, he or she gives you honest feedback with the intention of supporting you to be a better person in the relationship and yourself as an individual. In other words, they're not trying to "fix" you.
- You "like" the person you love. We've often heard people say he or she is my best friend, which means aside from being in love with them you like hanging out and being in their company.
- The foundation of your relationship is trust. You don't question his or her loyalty and devotion. You can tell the truth and share your thoughts and feelings without fear of losing them nor feeling judged.
- You can be yourself and not feel that you must be someone you are not nor give up the things you enjoy for the sake of making the other person happy. If you enter a relationship because you feel incomplete, fear being alone or depend on another person to make you happy, the relationship will not succeed.
- You want more than just sex. You are attracted to their mind and spirit/soul. While we love sex, we want our partner to love our spirit/soul first. Sexual compatibility is important, but the real test is to ask yourself, would you still love that person if they gain weight, become ill or want to go to bed early just to sleep.
You know that a committed relationship takes dedication, loyalty and nourishment. When there are disagreements and misunderstandings, both parties are willing to do what it takes to come to a resolution. That's not to say there won't be challenges especially if it involves hurt feelings. It means that you listen and respect one another's opinions and validate their feelings.
As I did in Part One, I leave you with a quote until we meet again.
"The new female and the new male are partners on a journey of spiritual growth… They consult with each other… They are friends... They are equals."
Please return next week for final installment of my 3-part series on Finding Love titled “The Perfect Relationship” and if you missed Part 1 "The Soulmate Myth" it's available to read now!