While Valentine’s Day may not seem like a big deal to you, this is the one day of the year when most women hope their guy will show them just how much they really care. With this in mind, here are some tips for creating the perfect evening that will mean much more to her than any last minute box of chocolates from CVS.
First of all, you can’t “wing it.” You have to plan things out. You still have time… so here goes:
1. Make restaurant reservations at least two weeks in advance. Choose a small intimate place ideal for quite conversation. Shy away from trendy, noisy, busy places, where people wait two-deep at that bar before being seated. Lighting is also very important. She’ll appreciate a restaurant with a candle-lit atmosphere, which will help her feel even more attractive.
2. After making the dinner reservations, call the local florist and place an order for a dozen red roses; however, you won’t be sending them, you’ll be picking them up before your date.
3. Clean up nice for her because how you look is very important! Get a haircut if you need one and, yes, trim the nails (biting them doesn’t count). Consider wearing a new shirt and/or something you know she’d like to see you in, even if it’s not something you’d normally wear.
4. Once dressed, pick up the flowers before heading to her place. Pop a breath mint in your mouth before showing up; believe me, she will notice. And for goodness sake, show up on time! Greet her at the door and present her with the roses, accompanied by a hello kiss. If you’re picking her up, be the gentleman that you are and open the car door for her. While doing this, also remember to compliment her… and mean it!
5. When entering the restaurant, open the door and let her in before you. (Women like guys with good manners.) Take charge and ask the host to be seated. Once you're both settled in and have ordered your first course and drinks, turn your attention completely to her. Don’t ask about her mundane daily activities (how's work?) and start a conversation focused on her. Try not to be overbearing and tailor the conversation around her the entire evening.
6. During the night’s conversation stare in her eyes and ignore what’s going on around you. Focus your attention on her and make her feel totally appreciated. Also, make sure her wine glass is filled when needed, and sincerely compliment her whenever you have the chance. When coffee and dessert are being served, ask her what she feels like doing next. Pick up the tab, and then head out to whatever awaits the two of you next.
Details like these may seem fussy for most men; however, it’s Valentine’s Day and this stuff is essential! It’s the stuff she’ll remember and tell her friends about. There’s also an upshot, getting the evening right can lighten things up if you happen to land in the doghouse later down the road.
Happy Valentine’s Day!