This isn't the person I thought he/she was when we first met and became involved. Well yes, in a manner of speaking, they are and always have been. It's just that in the early stages of courtship, we revel in those romantic feelings of being in love where we feel that excitement whenever we see their name light up on our cell phone or drive up our driveway.
But as time passes and we spend more time with them we may start to think and act in ways that can essentially hurt the relationship. Thus, lies The Soulmate Myth… that the relationship will be the perfect fairytale with little or no conflict.
The reality is there are challenges in all relationships. This doesn't necessarily mean the relationship is nearing its end, but rather an opportunity for a lesson in communication and conflict resolution.
So how do I know if I'm with my soulmate?
You are with your soulmate when…
- You are on a similar path and support one another's personal and spiritual growth.
- You trust one another even through the challenges. Without trust, the relationship will falter.
- You share common interests, yet you are autonomous. You love attending spectator sporting events together. One of you loves camping, the other one doesn't. So, while he goes fishing with the guys for a weekend, you enjoy a girl’s night out on the town.
- You acknowledge them when they have succeeded and support them through their struggles.
- You accept them for who they are and focus on their positive attributes rather than their shortcomings.
- You don't try to change them to suit your expectations of who you want them to be.
- And finally, you like the way you feel about yourself when you are with him/her.
Love Starts from Within.
“If you want to have the kind of relationship that your heart yearns for, you have to create it. You can't depend on somebody else creating it for you.” - Gary Zukav
Please return next week for Part 2 of my 3-part series on Love titled “Authentic Relationships.”
Share This Page
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment. click here to login