The Importance of Kindness
World Kindness Day is officially November 13, but this is an attitude that should be practiced every day of the year.
What does Kindness Mean to Psychic Source?
Kindness is something that our Advisors practice every day. This attitude is at the very heart of what we do as we strive to offer hope, guidance, and supportive connections to our members. We have over 300 Advisors who act as kindness ambassadors as they bring compassion and kindness to others one individual at a time. Groups like the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation encourage individuals to find creative ways to express kindness to others. The benefits for recipients of such kindness are often obvious, but kindness is really an attitude that benefits us all.
The Incredible Benefits of Being Kind
There are many benefits to being kind, ranging from spiritual benefits, like creating good karma, to health benefits of being kind, like these:
- The stress hormone cortisol is 23% lower in individuals who are perpetually kind.
- Individuals age 55 and over who volunteer for two or more organizations are 44% less likely to die early. The effect is stronger than exercising four times a week or attending church.
- Helping others makes you feel calmer, stronger, more energetic, and less depressed.
- Kindness stimulates serotonin production. This is the same chemical used in most antidepressants for its ability to calm your mood and increase happiness.
- Witnessing an act of kindness increases oxytocin, which lowers blood pressure and increases optimism and self-esteem.
Amazing Stories of Kindness
Thanks to the internet, stories of kindness from around the world are easier to find than ever. Reading examples of acts of kindness are inspiring and help expand our notions of what is possible. Here are some feel-good stories we’ve found:
- 9-year-old Marlee Pack was diagnosed with a form of soft tissue cancer in 2015 and had to go through chemotherapy. She was concerned about having to shave her head, but soon found she wouldn't be alone. In support, 80 students and some teachers shaved their heads at an event they titled “Be Bold, Be Brave, Go Bald.”
- The IKEA in Catania, Italy, opened its doors to stray dogs over the winter. The store invited them in to the display living rooms to escape the cold.
- British hairdresser Josh Coombes started the #DoSomethingForNothing campaign in 2015 to inspire people to help others. He embodies this vision by giving free haircuts to the homeless. He's partnered with veterinarian Jade Stratt who provides the Street Vet service caring for homeless individuals' pets.
- College student Walter Carr's vehicle broke down before his first day of work. Determined to get to the job, he walked 20 miles from Homewood to Pelham, AL. Police officers noticed him in Pelham around 4am, provided him with breakfast, and took him to the site of his moving job. His dedication went viral and the CEO of the company gave him his own hardly-driven 2014 Ford Escape.
Corporate and Celebrity Kindness Examples
Major corporations and A-list celebrities are getting in on the kindness movement as well.
- The Paul Mitchell Schools launched a corporate kindness program with The Kindness Campaign.
- Lady Gaga and her mother started the Born This Way Foundation which focuses on empowering young people to create a kinder world.
- Walt Disney Television hosted the Choose Kindness campaign in October to align with National Bullying Prevention Month.
Kindness at Psychic Source Through Donating to Charity
We are proud to be a company that donates. At no extra cost, clients can elect to donate 1% of their purchases (up to a total of $12,500 per month) with Psychic Source to a selected charity. Learn more about our Kindness program here.
So far, kind donations from Psychic Source customers have helped to:
- Cover all expenses to place 3 dogs with individuals with disabilities through Paws With A Cause®.
- Support initiatives to provide housing and emergency services to the homeless through the National Center for Housing & Child Welfare.
- Promote programs and policies that work to end violence against women, children, and families through Futures Without Violence
Learn More About our Kindness Initiatives on our Website
Visit our website and share your own stories as well. Tag your social media posts on kindness with #REVEALKINDNESS so we can support one another bringing more kindness into the world. Whether you're donating financially to important causes, volunteering your time, or engaging in random acts of charity, being kind is something that benefits us all.