Numerology is an ancient study dating back to at least 500BC that draws meaning from different numbers in your life. Different numbers have unique meanings. The science of numerology can help you tap into the fundamental patterns of the universe and reveal new truths about who you are. In addition to knowing your zodiac sign, understanding elements of numerology can enhance your awareness and understanding of self and others.
Numerology Soul Number
Numerology often takes two-digit resulting numbers, and adds them together, to result in a single-digit result. Examples will be shown. In Pythagorean numerology, each numeric 1-9 digit has a unique meaning. One of these special combination numbers is the Soul Urge Number or the Heart Desire Number. A Soul Number is a number that reveals the underpinnings and motivations of a person from their heart's perspective. Therefore, if you know, or can calculate, the Soul Urge Number of a person, you can evaluate them from a deeper perspective. This helps significantly in dating, friendships, business dealings, or any form of personal interaction.
How to Calculate the Soul Urge Number
Each letter in the alphabet has a number. A person’s Soul Urge Number is calculated by adding up all the vowels (a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y) in the name of a person at birth. This means the literal name and spelling listed on their birth certificate. Not a married name, adopted, or nickname. This also includes their full legal name. First, middle, and last name. If a Y sounds like a vowel (a, e, i, o, u), like it does in the name ‘Mary’, count it as a vowel. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on.
Step by Step Directions
Use a standard chart in numerology such as this one.
Note the following:
#1 is attached to letters (A, J, S)
#2 (B, K, T)
#3 (C, L, U)
#4 (D, M, V)
#5 (E, N, W)
#6 (F, O, X)
#7 (G, P, Y)
#8 (H, Q, Z)
#9 (I, R)
As an example, let’s calculate the Soul Urge Number for Joseph Brian Smith. Remember, we are only adding up the vowels. All multiple digit numbers are added up to result in a single-digit number.
Joseph = 6+5=11= (1+1) =2
Brian = 9+1=10= (1+0) = 1
Smith = 9
2+1+9 = 12 = 1+2 = 3
Soul Urge Number = 3
Why is The Soul Urge Number Important?
This number not only reflects what moves you in the world, it also aligns with what you deeply desire and hunger for in life. In addition, it captures your wishes, hopes, and dreams, as well as what motivates you to reach these goals. This information can be very insightful for relationships and partnerships both personal and professional.
Soul Urge Number 1
- High intellect, wise, reliable.
- Highly ambitious.
- Prefer freedom, flexibility, and personal expression.
- Egoistic in nature.
- Good leaders.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS - Struggles with being impatient, narrow vision, opinionated.
In summary, Soul Number One is all about being a one-of-a-kind, self-affirmed leader. Watch out for the out-of-control ego.
Soul Urge Number 2
- Maintains peace and harmony at home and professionally.
- Sensitive in nature, highly cooperative, passive, and yielding.
- A leader’s second-in-command – Think “I have your back.”
- Believes in helping and supporting others.
- Values teamwork and is a natural mediator and peacemaker.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS - Suffer from self-doubt, desire to be a people pleaser, mood swings, or extreme neediness.
Number Two is all about balance and having a sensitive heart. Libra, Cancer, and Pisces signs are great love matches for a soul number 2, because they are inherently good at supporting relationships and romantic partners. Find your inner calm through meditation and journaling.
Soul Urge Number 3
- Talented, creative, and enjoys teamwork.
- Social and can interact well with people of the opposite sex.
- Natural to express oneself in writing, singing, and acting.
- Often become poets, authors, and entertainers.
- Clever with a good sense of humor.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS – Will often procrastinate, feel unsatisfied, restless, or depressed.
Number Three is all about finding your passion and sticking with it. As you learn discipline and consistency it will pay off greatly. Love and romance come easy for you.
Soul Urge Number 4
- Practical and resourceful with a rigid outlook on life.
- Epitomizes a stable foundation, and often works with charities.
- Gravitates towards hard-working careers such as law and order/justice.
- Dependable, productive, timely, and obedient. Loves structure and routine.
- Neat, clean, and exercises routinely.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS: As a perfectionist, you find it challenging to express your true feelings.
To wrap up number Four, they are a rock for any business they are associated with and are promoted with ease. When you get out of balance, you lose your comfort zone. You need to speak your loving feelings and not just act on them.
Soul Urge Number 5
- Multitaskers, restless nature, love to discover new ideas.
- Adventurous, love to meet new people, and travel.
- Full of excitement and enjoy change and taking risks.
- Your curiosity allows you to explore a variety of careers.
- Loyal and trusting in dating.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS: The grass is often greener on the other side, until you get there, lol.
Scorpio, Sagittarius, and Aries zodiac signs are often best with people with a soul urge number 5. The literal sense of touch is the most valuable to you. There is a priority on physical intimacy in your relationship. In conclusion, for Number Five, you are a good communicator, but you take your time when learning to trust others. It is challenging to pick one career and stick with it because you love change. Your openness may be taken advantage of, be careful!
Soul Urge Number 6
- Often end up in careers as a caretaker or counselors.
- Artistic people who bring balance and harmony.
- They love beauty and nature.
- Create balance and harmony overall.
- Full of compassion and handle responsibility well.
- Prioritize family and sacrifice for the greater good.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS: Eagerness to help can result in a need to control, feeling intrusive and resented.
Taurus, Leo, and Capricorn signs are most compatible with partners with soul urge numbers of 6. There is a strong value in family. They can see you as their life partner. Align yourself with your compassionate and generous energy to bring zest and appropriate action into your life.
Soul Urge Number 7
- You love to accumulate knowledge and are an independent worker.
- Enjoy finding find answers to deep and meaningful questions.
- You feel open with everyone and are good at sharing your feelings.
- Lots of mood swings, systematic and efficient.
- Spiritual, but not religious.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS: You tend to get lost in your own thoughts and feel like no one really understands you.
To wrap up, number Seven is a perfectionist and processes information efficiently. Try harder to let those closest to you see the real you. You are a problem solver. Trust yourself, it is ok to pause and reflect, you will be better for it.
Soul Urge Number 8
- You accumulate a lot of wealth and power and have a goal-oriented mindset.
- Love solace and are not very social.
- The number 8 in numerology is about balance, which is something you seek out.
- You are very generous.
- You experience large ups and significant downs.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS: Encounters with authority figures such as teachers, mentors, or bosses are challenging.
In conclusion, it is very helpful to Number Eight to learn that life has chosen to teach you, rather than feeling stuck with a lot of anger, resentment, and feeling out of control. Also learn to always treat others with integrity. You require a healthy, strong mind and body to deal with the powerful energy of number 8. Your drive can make you appear emotionally distant. Remember, all humans need to feel loved.
Soul Urge Number 9
- As a born leader, you are selfless, globally conscious, compassionate, and a peacemaker.
- Leans towards a career in the medical, teaching, or counseling fields.
- Motivated by love and service to the world as a whole.
- You do not start drama, but rather want everyone to get along and find agreement or neutrality.
- NEGATIVE TRAITS – Stubborn and aggressive in nature.
Aquarius, Gemini, and Virgo are often drawn to Soul Urge number 9. This number relates to an overall depth and dedication of love and harmony in life. You have a duality within you: wanting to be totally independent, while at times being quite clingy. Be careful, burnout can happen. You are idealistic, which leads to being naive. Always check in with your own well-being. The world will continue to always need fixing, you need to walk away at times.
The Soul Urge Number is a number that represents the inner qualities of a person from a feeling place, not their head or logic. Take the time and steps to determine your Soul Urge Number and those of the ones in your family or close contacts. Having this knowledge is empowering. Learning more about numerology by increasing your awareness, is always a good thing!