A Course in Miracles is a spiritual thought course that is self-paced and teaches us that the way to peace and love is through forgiveness of others and ourselves, opening up a complete awareness of the presence of divine love in our lives. This is truly a journey of self-awareness destroying all illusions that we are separate from God's love.
To start this journey, I recommend that you have an open mind and a heart ready to receive. It's really that simple. There's nothing new that you will learn, the course will give you the framework needed to remember who you are. Meaning, you already know that you a loving soul that needs a little reminder that you have the ability to break the ties of guilt, hate, or fear. The most important aspect is that you just start. Get the book, take it slow, find a study buddy, and journal your way to a happier, more joyful YOU!
Here are a few suggestions that I like to use in my life.
Nurture Your Relationship with the Divine
Finding peace isn't about everything being perfect in your life right now. It's about finding balance in your life today. A course in miracles teaches us that we are what we think and to nurture our relationship with the Divine. So, if we change the we way we think about ourselves and the world around us, then peace can be ours! Sounds easy right? Well, there's a little more to it than that.
It starts with letting go of the meaningless self-talk that tells us that we can’t do this, or we aren't good enough, smart enough, and the list could go on. Remember, you are a child of the Divine, you are perfectly imperfect. The truth is, you are, and you have everything you need right now to start making the changes in your life to find the peace and joy you're looking for.
I AM JOY
I like to start small. A mantra I use is "I AM JOY!" I say this at least 3 times a day. And at the end of my day, I always feel joyful, no matter what, I AM JOY!
I also like to meditate, ask the divine to open my heart to what I need to be paying attention to, what I need to let go of, and how I can better my way of thinking to open myself up to what is meant for me. Remember, praying is asking… Meditation is listening.
There are a few things that I would suggest practicing on your journey:
- Be mindful of your thoughts. Take note when you start to self-sabotage out of fear and replace it with loving thoughts.
- Learn what feels right to you. Pay attention to how your body responds to your thoughts when you meditate or pray. When something isn't right for you, your body will feel it.
- Don't get caught up in what everyone else is doing.
- Allow yourself time to find what feels right for you. The divine will help you discern what is real and what is not. Listen, look for the signs, write in your journal and most of all, relax and know that if you put in the work, you too will find JOY and peace in your life.
- Letting go the ego. Ego just sits in our space using anger, fear, and hate against us. Ego tells us "Don't get mad, get even!" It's like a cancer of the soul and if we allow it, it will consume every thought we have. Replace the ego with love for yourself and you will see amazing things in your life!
- Don't put pressure on yourself. Changing the way you see life and changing your thinking patterns takes time and practice. You can do it! I believe in you… and I want you to believe in you too.
Start small. Try meditating a few minutes a day. Remember, you are a student of life, mistakes will be made and that's ok. Change one negative thought a day with the I AM JOY thought.
Trust the process.