On the other hand, you have probably encountered someone who affects you in just the opposite way. They drain your energy, leave you feeling negative, tired, and used up. These people are known as Energy Vampires. They feed off the energy of others. Their communication style and behavior tend to exhaust the resources of the people they interact with. I am using the pronoun “He” below, but an Energy Vampire has no true gender and can be anyone who fits these qualities.
5 Ways You Can Recognize an Energy Vampire
1. He will talk a lot about himself and topics that he is interested in but won’t make much of an effort to listen to what you have to say. He might not even give you a moment to fit a word in edgewise.
2. He won’t ask questions. One way to indicate that you find someone's time and presence valuable, is to engage them and ask questions about themselves, or about topics they are interested in. But the Energy Vampire doesn’t much care to hear your side of things.
3. He will share highly emotional things to elicit compassion and sympathy. He wants you to express an emotional response, so that he can suck up all the energy you put into it. He might not even listen to your words because he is only able to see his own point of view.
4. He tends to focus on negative emotions and likes to spread those emotions around to others. Sadness, bitterness, rage, grief, jealousy, hatred, disappointment are all too common feelings for an Energy Vampire.
5. He asks for too much. He pushes boundaries, tries to get you to do or say more than you are comfortable with. He is interested in taking, not giving.
4 Ways to Protect Yourself from an Energy Vampire
1. Once you have become aware that you are dealing with an Energy Vampire, it is reasonable to adjust your expectations of what you will get out the interaction. Realize, “This person is not here to listen to me. It’s likely that this conversation won’t benefit me in any way.” When you admit this to yourself, you can depersonalize what is happening.
2. Use this time to practice the fine art of “polite interruption.” If they won’t stop talking, it’s okay to turn off your listening ears (as my grandma used to say), take a deep breath, and speak over them to let them know that, “Well it’s been nice talking to you, but I’ve got to get going. Take care!” And then walk away.
3. Don’t encourage them to continue. As an empathetic person, it’s probably in your nature to be a good listener, to show compassion and support, and to help others express themselves. But now is not the time for that. Don’t express too much emotion, don’t ask questions that will motivate them to keep talking, and don’t pretend that you’re interested if you’re not.
4. Remember that an Energy Vampire’s priority is himself. Your well-being isn’t a priority for him. If you are feeling drained by someone, it is ultimately your responsibility to react in a way that protects your valuable time, energy, and emotion.
I am available, along with other gifted advisors at Psychic Source, to offer further guidance and assistance dealing with potential Energy Vampires who are attached to you, so give me a call today!
Share This Page
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment. click here to login