Have you heard about Mercury Retrograde and its tendencies to bring on many delays and miscommunication? Over time it has become a part of the year many people begin to fear and dread, but rather than worry, let us explore this transit to help you negotiate this period rather than become infused with stress and unnecessary worries.
For starters, a retrograde is a term used to describe a planet's movement and does not mean that it goes backward; instead, the action becomes slower, which from our vintage period seems to change direction. The speed of Mercury changes three times a year, placing it in a retrograde cycle. Each year the retrograde will take place at different sun signs, lasting approximately 24 days and taking place every 88 days (about once every 3 months).
The planet Mercury is known as the messenger of the Gods. Mercury is associated with all things that involve communicating including ideas, speech, self-expression, intellect, memory, transportation, contracts, planning, and taking action. When Mercury enters a retrograde cycle, individuals become less alert, easily distracted, make mistakes easier, and find it harder to… what’s the word… oh yeah, focus. Under a retrograde, we tend to experience more accidents simply because we are not as alert. We may make more mistakes in our planning and can mindlessly say things or misunderstand what others are saying, thus creating confusion and, at times, disagreements.
To help you navigate the Mercury Retrograde transit, keep an eye out for the following dates in 2021:
Mercury Retrograde in Aquarius
- January 30, 2021 - February 21, 2021
- This period influences mental skills, intellect, and the ability to size up people and situations. During the retrograde in Aquarius, you may find yourself not feeling so inquisitive or focused on the things that usually appeal to your interests.
Mercury Retrograde in Gemini
- May 29, 2021 - June 22, 2021
- In this placement, Mercury is in its natural sign and gives individuals wit, charm, and mental agility that allows you to be entertaining and very engaging. Individuals with Mercury in Gemini are excellent communicators, able to convince others into doing just about anything. However, during a retrograde, the energy creates more chaos than answers along with irritability and confusion.
Mercury Retrograde in Libra
- September 27, 2021 - October 18, 2021
- Communication in this placement must be mindful and sensitive to the feelings of others. Individuals with this aspect love to communicate and have social events to make others feel welcome and appreciated. However, during the Retrograde, communication is not as smooth or as pleasant and can potentially lead to confusion.
Here are some practical tips to help you make the most of the transits:
Mercury Retrograde to Do and Don't List:
- It is an excellent time to review old materials and creative projects.
- Reconnect with old contacts
- Update your address list
- Perform a virus scan on your computer
- Update and revise your resume
- Keep a journal of events and dreams.
- Revise your goals
- If you are a writer, edit your word and make necessary revisions.
- Study for any tests
- Meditate for clarity
- Rest as much as possible.
- Take trips since delays are common
- Avoid signing new contracts or leases since you might overlook vital details.
- Though you can scan your computer, do not upgrade programs/software.
- Avoid car repairs unless it's an emergency.
- Delay in buying a new car.
- Delay moving into a new place, unless it is necessary.
- Begin home repairs since there may be miscommunication.
- Delaying breaking up during this period, since most fights are the results of miscommunication triggered by Mercury.
Generally, retrogrades affect each planet's influence, but they are not automatically aspects that should be feared. Many actions require immediate attention and cannot be delayed simply because the planets are not aligned. The information on retrogrades allows you to understand the impact of certain aspects to make proper choices and adjustments that work best.